Saturday, October 11, 2014

Acheron

I had said I would review books in a series all at once. It seems I'm just finding more and more exceptions to that rule. I began the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon with Dance with the Devil, which I found to be very charming and endearing and lovely. The series itself is some 23 books long currently, and I knew I wasn't interested in reading the entire list. But, the character of Acheron fascinated me, so I decided to just jump to his story.

In regards to the Dark Hunter series, think Greek myth meets vampires. Basically, the Dark Hunters are people who have died and are brought back from the dead without their souls, twisting them into vampires. Their purpose is to hunt the demons that hunt humanity ... or something like that. And they can only regain their soul if someone loves them enough to fight for it ... again, something like that. I'm a little rusty on the specifics.

I plowed through the first half of Acheron's book which deals with his life in ancient Greece. This is the aspect of this series that I just eat up - Greek mythology, ancient times - I just loved seeing that environment and seeing how Acheron met Artemis. I didn't want to put the book down.

The second half of the book is slower and deals with aspects I'm less interested - modern times and vampire romance. But there's still plenty going on to make it interesting, and I enjoyed reading through it. I just didn't find it as engaging as the first half. It was still a very enjoyable novel and I'm glad I picked it up. If you read the Dark Hunter series, Acheron's book is a must have (and you don't need me to tell you that). If you don't ... some of this stuff will go right over your head. But I think you could still enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment